Hello all! Well in case you haven’t noticed, we’re coming up to an emotional time of year… February 14th… ooh err…. Now I’m one of those easy criers out there. Anything can get me going. In fact, this was me the other day watching The Last Kingdom…
(BTW if you are a GOT fan you *must* watch it- it’s insanely EPIC and just THE BEST! Get it on Netflix- #nonspon)
And I know I’m not alone- coincidentally, Nel made a WONDERFUL post the other day on this very subject- so worth checking out! Naturally, I wanted to share some books that’ve made me tear up… only trouble is there have been so many, I didn’t know where to start! Instead, I thought I’d do a list about some of my most memorable book blubbering moments. Here we go!
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix– YOU KNOW WHY! I also have to admit that when I finished this the first time, it was the first time I remember sobbing over a book. I flipped the book round and read it again, crying the whole time. J K ROWLING BROKE MY HEART.
- Noughts and Crosses– this was another of the first books that ever made me sob. In fact it gets me every time- it’s that good.
- Me Before You– I’ve mentioned before that this book made me cry at the wrong part… but that part did reduce me to a puddle of emotions
- Serpent King– ahhhh it’s so painful to even think about- but I will say that I spent a good amount of time rocking back and forth with the book after I was done… cos I’m totally normal.
- King Lear– this is the only Shakespeare play I’ve ever cried over. Something about it just cuts me to the quick. I was also lucky enough to find the McKellen version scene by scene on the RSC website years ago and that blew me away too. Wish I could have seen it live.
- Persuasion– speaking of “only ones”- this was the only Austen that’s ever made me cry too. That doesn’t mean the others aren’t amazing too- just in a different kind of way.
- Little Women– I actually knew what was going to happen (I was one of those 90s kids that grew up on Friends- it gave a massive spoiler) so I thought there was no way I would end up crying when I could see it coming a mile away, right? So so wrong.
- High Lord, Black Magician Trilogy– I didn’t actually like the first book, so the fact that I ended up sobbing my eyes out while reading the last one shows what a massive turnaround I had with this series (I also blame this book for why I now often continue series- cos this gave me hope that things get better…)
- We Were Liars– I sobbed over this- however I will always wonder if that’s because I was very emotionally vulnerable (someone died) at the time I was reading it. Who knows- doesn’t stop it being an awesome book.
- My Sister’s Keeper– I just wanted to include this one because WHY DID THEY CHANGE THE ENDING IN THE FILM. I cried in the book, not the film- because book betrayal makes me mad.
Oh my goodness that was so hard to narrow down to just ten- maybe I’ll do a follow up post one day. In the meantime, what books have made you cry? Let me know in the comments!