Ah it’s that time of year, when my eyes start to drift towards the horizon, and I can’t help but think of all the exotic places I’d rather be… or maybe that’s just me? 😉 Anyway, it seemed like the perfect opportunity to go adventuring in books. Thank you so much to the lovely Hammock of Books, for giving me the chance to live vicariously through reading 😉
- Mention the creator of the tag and link back to original post [Alexandra @ Reading by Starlight]
- Thank the blogger who tagged you
- Answer the 10 questions below using any genre
- Tag 5+ friends
- Secrets and lies: a book set in a sleepy small town
To Kill a Mockingbird- basically the ultimate book set in a small town- and a book with a big impact.
- Salt and sand: a book with a beach-side community
Big Little Lies- an intense murder mystery, the beach town felt like a constant spectre in the background.
- Here there be dragons: a book with a voyage on the high seas
Life of Pi- a really vivid read, the setting is often powerfully done, even if things are not always as they seem…
- Tread lightly: a book set down a murky river or a jungle
Journey to the River Sea- this is basically the perfect book for this this question. No contest. And if you haven’t read Eva Ibbotson/already love her books like me, then definitely consider this exquisitely written, fairy-tale-esque middle grade!
- Frozen wastes: a book with a frost bitten atmosphere
The Northern Lights- and having just watched the recent adaptation (which brought some of the plot points into sharp relief) I can safely say, it isn’t just the setting that’s chilling.
- The boonies: a book with ruff or isolated terrain
Heidi- a beautiful book with a beauitiful setting.
- Hinterlands and cowboys: a book with a western-esque setting
Saga Volume 8- okay, I did pick this largely cos I don’t really read books with this setting- BUT this is an excellent (adult) graphic novel- so if you like the look of it you should definitely check it out!
- Look lively: a book set across sweeping desert sands
Holes- I am so glad I was reminded of this book by doing this tag, because it’s brilliant! A gripping story, with wonderful characters, about changing your fate.
- Wild and untamed: a book set the heart of the woods
The Hobbit- okay, not all of this is set in woods, but for me Mirkwood is the most memorable fictional forest.
- Wildest dreams: a whimsical book shrouded in magic
Charmed Life- yes, yes I could’ve gone with Harry Potter- but you guys know it already. If you’re looking for something else that’s whimsical, you can’t go wrong with Diana Wynne Jones- I especially love the Crestomanci series!
That was a lot of fun! I tag: Miri @the Book Dragoness, Zezee with Books, Embuhleeliest, Read by Tiffany, Meeghan, Ola and Piotrek @Re-Enchantment of the World Blog, the Corner of Laura and anyone else who wants to do it!
What did you think of my answers? And what are some of your favourite books for these settings? Let me know in the comments!