Hello!! First of all, I want to say thank you for the awesome comments yesterday, I was not having a terribly productive day (*cough* to say the least) and reading everything you wrote was a great pick-me-up 😀 ❤
Secondly, I saw this awesome tag over on Kat@LifeandOtherDisasters’s wonderful blog and I thought it was perfect for this month! Do check out her post cos her answers rock!! (and it’ll lead you to discover her brilliant WIP!) Okay, let’s get this party started!
What genres, styles, and topics do you write about?
I ❤️ fantasy. Seriously, everything I’ve ever written is fantasy and I don’t plan to change that. I’ve written a YA fantasy duology, I’m working on a dystopic fantasy trilogy, and I’m planning some high fantasy series for the future. Oh and I have an idea for a gothic novella… which is basically old school fantasy 😉 You get the idea, fantasy’s my jam 😉
How long have you been writing?
Hard to say when I went from just making up stories to play and when I started writing them down… If you count all forms of storytelling, then forever
Why do you write?
I loved Kat’s answer here- basically in short: I HAVE to. It’s a compulsion.
When is the best time to write?
What parts of writing do you love and hate?
Lots of things…
- When characters get a mind of their own- I mentioned this to Kat cos she had this on her list, but the best time this happened to me was when one of my characters came out as gay halfway through the aforementioned trilogy- it was a bit of an “ohhh” moment cos it was unintentional (that character and I get on so much better cos he’d been a bit of an enigma to me before)
- When I’m on a role and the words are just flowing and you’re not too worried about what’s getting put on the page
- When you read over said words and it’s not half bad
- When you read over said words and it’s the worst thing you’ve ever read and you should probably scrap it all, but it was a lot of work so you don’t want to scrap it all, but arghh it’s crap, so you end up scrapping it all
- When you’re book doesn’t like you very much and needs a million and one edits
- When you’ve been working on the same thing for years and there’s no end in sight
- Fear of showing people and guilt about not sharing it with people
How do you overcome writer’s block?
I write something else. Like I said it’s a compulsion and I always have to be writing *something*
Are you working on something at the moment?
Yes indeedy- that aforementioned trilogy. Annnd I’m trying to figure out what I can say without giving anything away. Hmm… I think I traumatised my bestie the other day giving her book 2- so that was good… Sort of 😉
What are your writing goals this year?
Well it’s near the end of the year, so a lot of my targets for 2017 are done- namely finishing book 2. I was actually pretty wiped out after completing it back in the summer and was gonna leave it there for a while…. But no time like the present, when I realised Nano was coming up and that I’d have a shot at doing something for it, I decided I wanted to press on with book 3, cos why not? So my plan is to get a reasonable amount of the way through by the end of the year (hopefully so that next year, I’ll be able to write that elusive “The End”- that’s the dream anyway 😉 )
Annnd now I think I’ve prattled on enough- I tag Daley Downing, Sophie Li, Marie, Eve Messenger, Charlotte, Dani and all the writers that are reading this!
So do you write? What’s your genre of choice? Let me know in the comments!